top of page

Federal Student Aid Grants

Updated: Mar 31, 2020

First, what is FSA (Federal Student Aid)? It’s a federal government program that provides grant funds for students attending colleges, career schools, and universities. Grants unlike loans, are sources of free money and do not have to be repaid. Some are as follow:

  1. Federal Pell Grant. Awarded to undergraduates students who have exceptional financial need. For award year 2018-2019, you can receive up to $6,095.

  2. Federal Supplemental Educational Opportunity Grant. Award to undergraduates who have exceptional financial needs. Federal Pell Grant recipients receive priority. Not all schools participate in the FSEOG program. You can receive up to $4,000 per year.

  3. Teacher Education Assistance for College and Higher Education Grant. For undergraduates who will be taking course work necessary to become an elementary or secondary school teachers. Must agree to serve a minimum of 4 years as a full-time teacher that serves low-income students. You can receive up to $3,735 per year.

  4. Iraq and Afghanistan Service Grant. Student whose parents or guardians was a member of the U.S. armed forces and died as a result of performing military service in Iraq or Afghanistan after the events of 9/11. Must be ineligible for a Pell Grant. You can receive up to $5,529 for between 2017-2018.

If a student were to withdraw from school before finishing an enrollment period they may have to pay back part or all of a grant.

Are you familiar with these grants? Do you know how to apply? Do you know the qualifications or deadlines? Are you familiar with your state grants?

  • Have you received a federal or state grant?

  • How has is it helped you?

  • What are some state grants in your area?

If you would like to learn more about this topic, please feel free to take Higher Education Workshop.

8 views0 comments

Recent Posts

See All


bottom of page